Saturday, August 1, 2009

TLC's Women Inventor Casting

In June I tried out for TLC's Women Inventor show. The casting call was in Dallas as well as Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles. I made it through the preliminary 30 second session and miraculously got a green card so I could move on to the 2 minute taped session.

For those of you who know me, talking in front of a video camera as a sales person is probably the last thing you'd think of me doing. I know that I was able to do it because of God. God was all over that casting call.

I had to have a prototype, so I went to the fabric store in a different city where I was already shopping and loaded up my cart with all the necessary items to make my prototype. I was so excited. Well, when I got to the register, my card wouldn't clear. As I was calling the card company an employee from the cutting table came and told me she forgot to give me my discount! So, I got some cash from hubby ;) and proceeded to purchase everything in my basket. As I walked away from the register, I felt this heaviness like I shouldn't have purchased all these items. I found it confusing, but I decided to send Jeremy (haha) back into the store to return everything but the shell material. (I also had found the one button I needed there, but I decided to return it too. I later had to send Jeremy back to the same store to buy it. It's the only one in two stores and it was still there waiting for me!)

Well, later that evening I got home, pulled out all my materials and found out I didn't have enough of my second material to make the sling. So, I sent (guess who) out to our local in-town store and he bought the wrong thing! So, when he went back (don't worry, he enjoys running errands), to the store he found the right stuff and because it was dirty, we got it for almost half price! So, in all, I was able to get all my materials for almost 50% off! I knew God was doing something wonderful.

Then, my next task was to make a PERFECT prototype for TLC. Well, it must be said that I'm no seamstress! I'm really not being modest. I am crazy in the kitchen and in the sewing room. Well, I'm pretty much crazy anywhere I'm supposed to measure something. I just eyeball pretty much everything. So, you can imagine what my homemade clothes look like. My poor girls... it's hilarious actually. But anyway, I am supposed to make this perfect prototype and I've only sewn one other prototype and I had major problems on the finishing seams. Plus, this go-round I'm supposed to be implementing all the changes I wanted to make from the first one. And needless to say, there's no "pattern". I just know in my head approximately where everything should go and how big it should be.

I kid you not, I made the most perfect, flawless prototype ever. :) I remember looking at my hands working with the fabric and the sewing machine and feeling like I was watching a movie. God was totally moving and prompting me step by step until I was finished with this amazing creation. I'm still shocked over how great it turned out. In fact, I'm afraid to use it because I don't want to mess it up!

The whole point is, God made all these doors open so we could afford the materials, I could be bold and fearless in front of the camera and with a crowd of professional women inventors, and He has given me peace about the results of the show's casting as well. (I do want to say a public thank you to my sweet baby girl Emily - 5 months old now - she was in the sling all day at the casting call. She did an awesome job being cute and happy! Everybody was fawning over her. She's my little movie star buddy!)

So now, I've found out that TLC has already sent contracts out to 60 women, expecting to choose 24 for the show. Strangely, I feel just as much peace as I did when I went in front of the cameras and the lights. I don't know what God has planned for me or this sling. But, I know this, I have learned to see the journey as the lesson, not the destination.

So, I decided to create this blog... for me, for other mom inventors, and for my girls, so they can read about mommy's great invention when they grow up. I put a special forum here on the blog so women inventors can come here and chat, discuss TLC, their inventions, plug their websites, etc. I've met an amazing group of women who share openly their struggles, resources, and advice. Encouragement pours out when one of us is down and needs lifting up. To me, this is far more valuable than any TLC show.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Rachel~

    If your Posh Pod Sling is as cute as this blog page, I think it's going to be a big hit! My name is Jen Cannon and I attending the Chicago casting for the TLC show. I totally agree with all of your sentiment here regarding this group of women who have bonded through the casting experience.

    I wanted to bring your attention to (if you don't already know!) to a blog which I contribute to with Melinda Knight (creator) at www.womentors.blogspot.com (here on blogger). Melinda is about to launch a fabulous website for women inventors only called "Womentorz". It will be a safe easy place for us to sell our products. It is going to be huge I tell you! You can read all of the details about it on our blog.

    Meanwhile, I will become a follower of yours and look forward to watching your success!

    BTW - my invention is a specialized cleaning tool, which I can't say too much about as I have not applied for any patents yet. I've got all of the ducks lined up and just need to find the $$$ to get moving!

    Have a great day and see ya around the blogosphere :).

    Best,

    Jen Cannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Jen! I do read the womentors blog, but I need to get linked up. We all need to link our blogs together and help each other out.

    I heard some news today about the TLC casting. Seems like there's some shady contracts going around out there, requiring the women to release ownership for 7 years with an unspecified royalty. I can't imagine agreeing to that.

    I am looking forward to getting moving on my project as well. I am about to start working on my patent. I'm getting my drawings ready right now.

    I'd love for you to let my readers know the who, what, when, where, and why of your process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Rachel:

    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply here! With regard to "the show" - I think many of us are looking ahead, but at the same time have that little question mark in the back of our minds that will not go away until the last day of September has come and gone.

    As far as the who, what, when, where and why of my process - if you are referring to my invention - I can tell you that it is a specialized cleaning tool that will have many uses throughout the home. At this point, I have a good working prototype (which I currently use on a regular basis) and, because of it's simplicity, I am just kind of at a standstill right now until I can come up with the dollars needed to get started with a manufacturer. Thanks to Melinda, I think I have found a wonderful company, Breedt Manufacturing, that I want to work with. My product would also be manufactured here in the United States, which is important to me, but I also know that this is not feasible for many.

    I am also so excited about the launch of the Womentorz site in the next couple of months. It is all Melinda's baby and I am sort of the Executive Cheerleader/Networker out spreading the word about what a great opportunity it will be for many people who just want a simple, inexpensive way to get their products out there without the middle man. I myself will be excited to get my product on the website just as soon as I can have several hundred of them produced!

    Looks like you are moving right along yourself - can't wait to see some pics of the posh pod sling - it sounds fantastic!

    Time for coffee! Have a great day!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete